- Abinoth – The sixth month of the year.
- Aessatal – One of the Duin. Revered by sailors, pilots, and dreamers.
- Aliara Rift – See Rift, Aliara
- Alsolon – The twelfth month of the year.
- Amazaze – A scion of the Duar and member of the Victalyassa. Said to bring disease.
- Anti-agathics – Substance taken to unnaturally prolong life. Features unpleasant side effects after decades of use.
- Bane – Zoetic augmentation in which a venom gland is transplanted from one species to another.
- Balototh – The fourth month of the year. The first month of summer.
- Baluut – Zoet used for both flight and underwater travel
- Bankal – Raider clan that keeps largely to the Twilight Sea.
- B’hintal Dadeyah – Ismae’s green moon.
- Big Island, The – One of Dockhaven’s islets. Home to much of the city’s commerce.
- Billidoc Coalition – Organization dedicated to trade.
- Billidoc, Moid and Calla – Historical figures revered for having been the first to initiate trade after the cataclysm.
- Blalal berries – Bog-grown fruit used to make caba.
- Boodle – Slang for loot.
- Book of Omatha, The – A mythical tome created by the Duin, Omatha. Also known as “The Book”.
- Bubs – Slang for breasts.
- Bung – Slang for landlord.
- Bym – Slang for an attractive woman.
- Caba – Red, bubbly liquor distilled from blalal berries.
- Calla – The primary coin of the known islands. Worth 40 coppers. Silver stamped on both sides with the face of Calla Billidoc.
- Calla Billidoc – See Billidoc, Moid and Calla
- Cap-light/Capacitance light – Light source that requires winding to create electrical current.
- Carapace – Hard outer covering of the idrit beetle, cut and molded for use as body armor.
- Carsuure, Idra – Character in Things They Buried. Female chivori. Mayor of Dockhaven.
- Celebar – The second month of the year.
- Chit – Zoet used to record and share audio or video messages.
- Chiva’vastezz, Dominion of – Large chain of islands to the west. Populated primarily by chivori. The oldest continuous government on the planet.
- Chivori – Species of sentient people. Slim and delicate with skin tones in shades of grey.
- Cloviist – Uninhabited island in the northern Middle Sea.
- Danurak – The eighth month of the year.
- Dibuc – Zoet used to devour organic waste materials of all sort. Primary use in is toilets.
- Dockhaven – City built on a small chain of islands in the center of the Middle Sea. The hub of Ismae’s commerce. Often referred to as the Haven.
- Dormah – Ismae’s white moon.
- Douse – Slang for idiot or fool.
- Draas – Species of primative sentient people. Large and bulky with scales, long claws, and dangerous tails.
- Dross – Slang for junk.
- Duar, The – The second faction of Ismae deities. The Duar entered the history of Ismae toward the end of the First Epoch.
- Duin, The – One of two factions of Ismae deities. The Duin are credited with the creation of many of the species on Ismae.
- Duke, The – See Imythedralin, Sylandair
- Dullahan – A scion of the Duar and member of the Victalyassa. Said to bring battle.
- Ebb Weave – Fabric woven from silk of the zoetic wok spiders.
- Egress – Zoetic system of travel said to have been created by the Duin.
- Eita, Republic of – Small island chain to the south. Populated primarily by chivori. Sometimes referred to as The Lonely Mews.
- Eitan – Descriptor for anyone from the Republic of Eita.
- Erylkin – A scion of the Duar and member of the Victalyassa. Said to bring accidents.
- Estoan – Doctrine that follows the teachings of the Duin, Estoas.
- Estoas – A scion of the Duin. Revered by the Estoans
- Etylon – The tenth month of the year. The first month of winter.
- Falak – The ninth month of the year.
- Farspeech/farspeaker – The ability to communicate over long distances using the mind. Found in about 10% of pukas.
- Feck – Slang for something worthless.
- Fext – A scion of the Duar and member of the Victalyassa. Said to inspire murder.
- Fid – Slang for penis or for an unpleasant man.
- Fist – See Haus, Victuur
- Fohmsquah – Character from Things They Buried. Female puka. Professional domestic.
- Gam – Slang for sex.
- Goby – Slang for a person acting like a parasite; a hanger-on.
- Gorta – A scion of the Duar and member of the Victalyassa. Said to bring famine.
- Grat – Slang word for expressing greatfulness. Short for gratitude or “you have my gratitude.”
- Gudgeon – Slang for dupe.
- Gutter baby/babies – Slang for a homeless or street person.
- Guunaat – Ukur’s primary port city. Populated primarily by the Estoans.
- Haasteboah – Jungle island on the south edge of the Middle Sea.
- Half-seas over/half-seas – Slang for extreme inheibriation.
- Haus, Uuron – Character from Things They Buried. Male karju. Part of Victuur Haus’ crew.
- Haus, Victuur – Character from Things They Buried. Male karju. Affiliated with the Thung Toh and the Estoans.
- Havener – Descriptor for anyone from Dockhaven.
- Heat eater – Zoet used to pull heat from any space. Most commonly used in refrigeration.
- Hergis Savesti – See Savesti, Hergis
- Hiisi – Species of primative sentient people. Tall and flat-faced with fur and skin in shades of brown and black.
- Idra Carsuure – See Carsuure, Idra
- Imt – Once leader of the Duin. He purportedly died at the end of the War of Whispers when Opoli was destroyed.
- Imythedralin, Sylandair – Character from Things They Buried. Male chivori. Duke of Isay.
- Inbar – The first month of the year and of spring.
- Ink – Slang for chivori blood, which is bluish-black.
- Isay – Duchy on the island of O’atlor in Chiva’vastezz. Held by Duke Imythedralin.
- Ismae – Planet on which these stories take place.
- Iruund – Groomsman at the Orono estate.
- Jajal – One of the most revered of the Duin. Considered the All Mother by her adherents.
- Jig – Slang for a job or assignment.
- Kalaflak – The seventh month of the year. The first month of autumn.
- Kaniral – One of the Duin. Revered by diplomats, leaders, judges, and the Estoans.
- Karju – Species of sentient people. Mostly broad and muscular with skin tones from pale pink to dark brown.
- Khuit – Thick, bitter yellow liquor.
- Kluuta Orono – See Orono, Kluuta
- Lav – Slang for washroom. Short for lavatory.
- Leb – One of the Duin. Died in the War of Whispers. Revered by leaders, arbiters, and builders.
- Leloloom – One of the Duin. Revered by sailors, merchants, and the Billidoc Coalition.
- Lodestone Cloud – Device for circumventing magnetic locks.
- Lower Rabble – See Rabble, Lower
- Lumia algae – Zoet that generates pale, aqua light.
- Lusca – Zoet used to separate seawater into salt and freshwater.
- Lyntyyl – Game played with cards and dice.
- Mag-pistol/rifle – Weapon that uses a battery and magnetic slide to fire slugs. Sometimes powered by opoli.
- Medibar – The third month of the year.
- Mids/middays – Midday rest enjoyed by chivori.
- Minikin – Members of the karju species who were born and developed smaller than the average karju.
- Moid Billidoc – See Billidoc, Moid and Calla.
- Mucha – Organization dedicated to intelligence and learning. And drastic fashion statements.
- Nest, The – One of Dockhaven’s islets. Home to government buildings and the city’s wealthy.
- Nihal Savesti – See Savesti, Nihal
- Nireer’s Island – Small island to the north of Dockhaven.
- Nors, The – Long chain of small islands between Oras and Dockhaven. Populated by a general mix of species. One of the newest recognized governments on Ismae.
- Norian – Descriptor for anyone from the Nors.
- Nushgha – Guardian of the Grounds at Orono estate.
- Nys – A scion of the Duin. Revered by writers and artists, especially those seeking inspiration.
- Nyyata Untere – See Untere, Nyyata
- O’atlor – An island in the Dominion of Chiva’vastezz.
- Omatha – One of the Duin. Revered by intellectuals, poets, and musicians.
- Opoli – Cause of the global cataclysm. Formerly Ismae’s primary moon, now debris rings around the planet.
- opoli – A reactive substance found in debris from the moon’s explosion.
- Optic coupling – Zoetic augmentation directly linking baluuts with their wranglers and pilots.
- Oras, Empire of – Large chain of islands to the east. Populated primarily by karju. Xenophobic.
- Orono, Kluuta – Character from Things They Buried. Male karju. Zoeticist.
- Ossein – Zoetic augmentation that can mend or grow new bone. Often used for body-decorative purposes, such as horns.
- Ossquere – Large northern island in the Dominion of Chiva’vastezz.
- Perilon – The eleventh month of the year.
- Pipe, The – Narrow stretch of land connecting Dockhaven’s Big Island and Lower Rabble.
- Piru & Tokimer – Scions of the Duin. Revered by gamblers, thieves, and anyone seeking to improve their luck.
- Pong – Slang for a bad odor.
- Prick, The – One of Dockhaven’s islets. Warehouse district and home to the destitute and the worst the city can find.
- Puddle – Slang for a weak and/or worthless person.
- Puka – Species of sentient people. Short and hairless with skin tones in muddy shades of green and brown.
- Quim – Slang for vagina or for an unpleasant woman.
- Quincitaba – Green and overly sweet liquor.
- Rabble, Lower – One of Dockhaven’s islets. Home to Sylandair and Aliara as well as much of the city’s lower class.
- Rabble, Upper – One of Dockhaven’s islets. Home to Pukatown and much of the city’s lower class.
- Rej Wehn – See Wehn, Rej
- Reye – Groundskeeper at the Orono estate.
- Rhochrot – Species of sentient people. Massive and four-legged with skin tones in shades of browns and greys.
- Rift, Aliara – Character from Things They Buried. Female chivori. Affiliated with the Thung Toh.
- Ruru Yhezzeho – One of the Duar. Keeper of the depths.
- Savesti, Hergis – Character from Things They Buried. Male karju, minikin. Affiliated with the Mucha.
- Savesti, Nihal – Character from Things They Buried. Female karju.
- Saxelyt – One of the Duin. Revered by artists, gamblers, and con men.
- Scale – Slang for stealing or burgling.
- Schmalch – Character from Things They Buried. Male puka. Street thief, follower of Spriggan.
- Seers of Dream and Waking, The – Doctrine that follows the Sisters of Augury. All members are chivori and mystics.
- Sisters of Augury – A trio of scions of the Duin. Revered by mystics, specifically the Seers of Dream and Waking.
- Spark – Slang for genetic material.
- Spriggan – A scion of the Duin. Revered primarily by thieves.
- Spriggans – Doctrine that follows the teachings of the Duin, Spriggan.
- Suul – Raider clan that keeps largely to the Sea of Dawn.
- Sviroosa – Character from Things They Buried. Female puka. Domestic to Sylandair and Aliara.
- Syl – See Imythedralin, Sylandair
- Sylandair Imythedralin – See Imythedralin, Sylandair
- Tatumi – Character from Things They Buried. Male hiisi.
- Tehtaemah – Island to the south. Prone to high temperatures. Home to a large proportion of rhochrot.
- Thung Toh – Secret organization dedicated to doing jobs no one else can.
- Tilen, Mount – Inactive volcano and primary mountain on Ukur.
- Tippled/tippler – Slang for drunk.
- Toroth – The fifth month of the year.
- Trawler – Slang for someone looking for sex in a non-professional manner.
- Trinite – A powerful explosive.
- Trull – Slang for a prostitute, male or female.
- Ukur – Island to the north. Home of the Estoans and the Mucha.
- Ukur-Tilen – City at the top of Mount Tilen. Home of the Mucha Colleges.
- Untere, Nyyata – Character from Things They Buried. Female chivori. Part of Victuur Haus’ crew.
- Upper Rabble – See Rabble, Upper
- Uuron Haus – See Haus, Uuron
- Vazztain – Descriptor for anyone from Chiva’vastezz. Also the native language its people.
- Victalyassa – A group of five scions of the Duar.
- Victuur Haus – See Haus, Victuur
- Vinex – Capital arcology of the Dominion of Chiva’vastezz.
- Voshar – Country that was lost during the cataclysm. Formerly found in the area of the island Tehtaemah.
- Vosharilim – Capital city of Voshar.
- Vrasaj – Traditional greeting. Vazztain root.
- War of Whispers – Legendary conflict between the Duin and the Duar that led to the destruction of Opoli and the Cataclysm.
- Wehn, Rej – Character from Things They Buried. Female karju. Part of Victuur Haus’ crew.
- Wetac – Originally one of the Duin, he sided with the Duar in the War of Whispers. He purportedly died when Opoli was destroyed. Revered by madmen and reckless warriors.
- Yenderot – Raider clan that keeps largely to the Middle Sea.